Welcome to Glider Ground School! A few months after earning my CFIG, I put on a ground school to introduce new glider students to the licensing process with two main objectives:
- Prepare for the FAA Private Pilot Glider written exam; and
- Prepare for the Oral Exam portion of their checkride with an FAA approved examiner.
The ground school was held in a classroom with about 12 students and a slide presentation to help get through the vast amounts of material that a new pilot needs to know. This was a huge undertaking! I did the best I could as a new glider instructor and learned through the process. I hope you do too! There is a slide deck that accompanies this webinar series (see the link below). Please email me with questions or suggestions.
Happy Soaring! Mark A. Stanfield, AGI, CFI, CFIG email@example.com
Glider Ground School Links:
- Webinar slide deck: Click to view slides
- Private Pilot Practical Test Standards for Glider FAA-S-8081-22. Free PDF download on the FAA Website
- Soundings: https://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/gwt/
One soaring club's steps to becoming a CFIG: https://sites.google.com/site/soaringclubofhouston/learn-to-fly/scoh-instructor-academy
Power, Tailwheel, Aerobatic http://www.figure1foundation.com
McCready, XC, and Contest Experts:
John H. Cochrane https://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/soaring/index.htm