Glider Ground School (January - March 2021)
The HRS Glider Private Pilot Ground School will prepare student pilots for the required FAA Knowledge to solo a glider, and additional introductory preparation for the FAA Knowledge and oral portion of a Private Pilot Glider CheckRide.
All classes will be held over Zoom and led by flight instructors Steve Frisby, Frank Gomez, Mark Stanfield, and other HRS instructors.
Wednesdays from 7:30-9pm beginning January 20th.
8-12 classes offered weekly over a three month period.
Registration has closed.
In 2019, a few months after earning his CFIG, Mark Stanfield taught the first ground school course at HRS to introduce new glider students to the licensing process with two main objectives:
- Prepare for the FAA Private Pilot Glider written exam; and
- Prepare for the Oral Exam portion of their checkride with an FAA approved examiner.
The ground school was held in a classroom with about 12 students and a slide presentation to help get through the vast amounts of material that a new pilot needs to know. There is a slide deck which accompanies this webinar series (see the link below). Please email Mark with questions or suggestions. Happy Soaring!
Glider Ground School Links:
- Webinar slide deck: Click to view slides
- Private Pilot Practical Test Standards for Glider FAA-S-8081-22. Free PDF download on the FAA Website
- Soundings: https://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/gwt/
- Private pilot ground school: https://fly8ma.com/courses/pplgs/
Intended for powered but covers 90% of what you need for the glider.
- Pilotedge flight communication training simulation: https://www.pilotedge.net/#
Great for learning proper radio protocol in both VFR and IFR environments.
One soaring club's steps to becoming a CFIG: https://sites.google.com/site/soaringclubofhouston/learn-to-fly/scoh-instructor-academy
Power, Tailwheel, Aerobatic http://www.figure1foundation.com
McCready, XC, and Contest Experts:
John H. Cochrane https://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/soaring/index.htm